Foi en Action (Faith in Action) empowers at-risk Burundian women to actively engage in their communities through a holistic community and family-based approach. This transformative process quips women with the skills and confidence needed to become proactive contributors to their communities.
Faith in Action empowers at-risk Burundian women to actively engage in their communities through a holistic community and family-based approach. This transformative process quips women with the skills and confidence needed to become proactive contributors to their communities.
Why Their Work Matters
In Burundi, 73% of the population lives below the poverty line and many of them are women. These women are often deprived of life skills, education and decision-making rights, leading to violence towards them and their children. In response to these challenges, Foi en Action provides essential training in three areas: entrepreneurship and solidarity funding, family support and life skills.
- 89% of 25282 Self Help Group members have increased their income through the creation of income-generating activities under the guidance of Faith in Action Support Services
- 4012 community children removed from dangerous situations (in rubbish dumps, street children, sexual exploitation, etc.) reintegrated in their/foster families and have returned to school or vocational training
- 6206 women, men and teenagers have adopted modern contraceptive methods thanks to 142 peer educators trained and equipped by Faith in Action.
- 39192 community members received socio-economic support through participation in SHGs, individual coaching and connection to Finance Institutions
- 119,541 children in 35 intervention communes benefited appropriate protection services such as psychosocial assistance, social and educational reintegration, food support, and temporary accommodation and birth registrations.
- 23231 persons, the majority of whom were women, were made aware of various themes including essential hand-washing practices, good nutritional practices and sexual and reproductive health.
- Foi en Action is creating a movement for disadvantaged or at-risk women in Burundi to become active, contributing members who influence socio-economic change in their communities: chosen to be community leaders, mediators, light mothers, and Children protection leaders.
- Our holistic approach of integral and sustainable development equips community members in general, and women in particular, to build healthy and prosperous livelihoods on their own terms which contribute to increase women and Children rights and decrease gender based violence.
Virginie Niyizigma holds degrees in electro-mechanics engineering and leadership and administration.
With a background in transformational leadership, sustainable organization, mobilizing people towards specific goals, entrepreneurship, family support, and life skills, Virginie is an African Visionary Alumni of Segal Family Foundation. She has been recognized as a grassroots champion by Segal Family Foundation and holds certificates in peace building, trauma healing, nonviolent communication, project management, and administration.
Her unwavering passion lies in promoting equity among people and advocating for the rights of everyone to be respected without discrimination.