Shule Direct provides versatile learning opportunities through accessible technologies. Their team has created the first locally-based e-learning platform in Tanzania based on the national curriculum by the Ministry of Education. Currently, Shule Direct distributes its high-quality digital education content to learners via an online portal, mobile applications, an SMS-based mobile application (Makini SMS), and an offline learning management system (LMS) that offers user-friendly dashboards for students and teachers. In 2019, their organization saw great potential for growth as the demand for digital education content rose due to school closures among the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 23% improvement in test scores among a Shule Direct user cohort. 1000 subscribers were tracked for purposes of assessing their learning outcomes & understanding user behaviors while using the platform.
- 86.6% user satisfaction rate with Shule Direct learning platforms in January 2020
- Platform serves over 2.8 million users and 45,000 teachers
- More than 2.3 million learners reached in the last 4 years
- Expanding reach across East Africa including 55,916 registered subscribers in Kenya and - 1,594 registered subscribers in Rwanda as of January 2021
- Shule Direct is working on a national level to demonstrate the importance of integrating e-learning solutions to help improve learning outcomes.
- Shule Direct created the first local based e-learning platform in Tanzania recognised by the MOE.
Faraja was named Tanzania Leadership Awards’ Hall of Fame Woman of the Year in 2016 and is a recipient of the Leading Woman in Technology in Africa Award for her work with Shule Direct. In 2017, Faraja was given the System Innovator award by the Segal Family Foundation for pioneering systemic change in digital learning in Tanzania.
If we are to realize human potential in every child then learning cannot be confined to a space and time. Our motivation is to support young people to meet their learning needs, anytime and anywhere.